Powered by WebAds

Monday, September 10, 2007

Adventures in Parenting: That's Outrageous...or not!

It was outrageous!

It was only the second week of school and my son was sent to the principal and kicked out of class for not doing his homework!

I couldn't believe it!

And I shouldn't have.... because my son had relayed only half of the story...

But first, a bit of background:
Last year, after repeatedly not doing his homework, my son was kicked out of class. He was justifiably upset. "They should take away recess, not make me miss class", he complained. We wrote a letter to the school, and quoted our son's mature response.

So now I was indignant! What blatant disregard for our concerns that our son not miss class!

I drafted a letter. I called the school, the teacher, the counselor -- no one was available. I called my husband and delivered my tirade. I was not going to let this pass quitely!

Luckily, by the time the teacher returned my call, I had the presence of mind to listen before engaging in battle!

It turns out, that as a result of not doing his homework, the teacher told my son that he would miss recess. My son decided that since the teacher was taking away his rightful break, he would implement his break immediately; he took out his book (Harry Potter, of course) and began reading in class. It was this breach of conduct that prompted the teacher to send him to the principal and the subsequent punishment.

Needless to say, my dismay was redirected to the appropriate culprit....

My son had a hard time hiding his impish grin. He was "busted" and he knew it.

Nevertheless, he was agitated that the teacher had the nerve to take away his recess. I reminded him that she gave him the punishment that he himself had advocated, just the previous year. "Someone must have given me Pollyjuice", he innocently protested! But his claims of memory loss were irrelevant.

Magic potions from Harry Potter were not going to save him.

Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

1 comment:

Jack said...

Kids can be so clever these days. Hahaha. I mean they can be manipulative, and can easily convince you of your innocence. I am so happy that you act maturely and listen to both sides of the stories before making a decision.