Powered by WebAds

Friday, January 4, 2008

The Mikado

The first play/show that I ever remember seeing was the Mikado.

I was a little girl.

And I loved it.

So, five years ago, when I heard that the Mikado was being performed in Jerusalem, I jumped at the chance to take my kids.

Unfortunately, I jumped too late. The show was sold out, weeks before the first performance.

Luckily, there was such demand, that they decided to perform an extra show on Lag Ba'Omer (a holiday, 33 days after Pesach). Thankfully, I got tickets to that.

In fact, thus began my "Jerusalem Tickets" project (creating a group for cheaper tickets to shows and plays). A friend, for whom I was getting tickets as well, turned to me and said: "hey, with your kids and my kids, I wonder if we could get a group price." It turned out that we were just a few people short. I figured that it wouldn't be hard to find another friend or two to join our "group." One thing led to another, and now we have a huge group and get discounts to all sorts of performances. (If you want to join us, just let me know)

Anyway, we got to see the Mikado and my kids loved the show.

Classic MD story:
During the performance, when Nanki-Poo deliberates revealing to Yum-Yum that he is the son of the Mikado, Nanki-Poo turns to the audience and asks "should I tell her?" Clearly, so that Nanki-Poo (and the entire audience) could hear, my beloved 6 year old son answered "yes!" The entire theater laughed at my adorable son, who didn't understand what was so funny. :-)

Well, we've been attending the Gilbert and Sullivan performances every year since then. And, though they don't always understand the subtext of the plots, my kids love every performance (and go around the house singing the songs they remember).

What fun!

When I heard that the Mikado was being performed again, I wasn't sure how excited the kids would be to see a show that they had seen before.

I was so thrilled when they all responded that they wanted to go.

In fact, Y insisted that we have to go -- since a good friend of hers is in the show.

We went this evening and it was a fun performance.

The creative director adapted several lines, to poke fun at our own Israeli culture. That certainly added to the fun and laughter.

Several times during the show, Y turned and whispered "I remember this part." What a pleasure!

How wonderful, to be able to impart to my children, not just the English language, but also English culture.


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

No comments: