Powered by WebAds

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Books, Books & More Books

We did it! We went back tonight!

Boy was the book fair crowded!

I almost did not go. I was tired. My back hurt. I knew that I would be happy if I decided to go. But I was feeling kind of sluggish. Moshe would not tell me to come. "It is up to you," he said, careful not to put any pressure on me.

A jumped at the chance to go: "Can I go? I don't have school tomorrow!"

I decided to push myself and join them. After all, it was the last night of Shavua HaSefer HaIvri (Hebrew Book Week).

Y came home, just as we were leaving, and jumped on the bandwagon.

And then we were four. (MD was at a sleepover birthday party)

We arrived and were immediately caught up in the festive atmosphere. Y met tons of friends. I did too.

Once again, we passed by Olam HaTanach. Maybe next year...

Moshe picked out a few more books. (elah ma? -- what else did you expect?)

I did too.

Last year, I really wanted to get Yerushalayim V'Chol Netivoteha (Jerusalem -- A Walk Through Time), published by Yad Ben-Zvi. My problem: I could not decide whether to purchase the book in English or Hebrew. The Hebrew version is slightly more comprehensive, but it is easier for me to read in English. I decided to wait until "next year" to decide.

A year passed and I still did not know which version to get.

The Hebrew book is nicer, in hard cover, and cheaper. The English copy is more expensive, comes only in a soft cover, and is in two volumes (making it lighter, but less durable).

I really wanted the Hebrew, but I worried that I would not use it as much. I knew that I would use the English.

"I want to just get both" I said to Moshe.

"So, why don't you?" Moshe asked.

Just like that. The solution was so simple.

Normally, I would be filled with self-doubt.

Not this time.

I will use both copies.

When I want to go on a particular tour, I will read about it in English first, then I will read the Hebrew.

Even if I mainly use the English, it is still worth it to have both.

When my kids are interested, they will read the Hebrew.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thorouoghly impressed. I didn't bother going to the Hebrew Book Fair when my daughter asked if I wanted to go with her because it depresses me to see so many books I can barely read. You did good!!!!!! Kol Hakavod!!!!

btw, when you go on a tour, can I come with??

Klara