Powered by WebAds

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Freakin' Me Out!!

When my youngest saw me with almost no hair she came up to me and gave me the sweetest hug.

As she hugged me, she said in the cutest voice, "Ima, it's kinda' freaking me out."

At first, I thought she was just disturbed about my hair falling out and the wierd way it looks.

A few days later, following the suggestion of the psychologist from our support group (at Beit Natan), I asked her what is freaking her out.

"Well," she said, "the idea of cancer in your brain is sort of scary."

"I know," I gently responded, "it is sort of scary for me too."



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

10 comments:

G6 said...

That was probably exactly the answer she needed to hear.

Not every parent has the ability to be so open with their child when they themselves are still "processing".

Sending tefillos and happy healing thoughts.....

adena said...

ditto. awesome response.

Robin said...

You really are an incredible mom RivkA. Truly.

xox

Anonymous said...

And feel happy that she felt safe enough to express that to you in such a loving and gentle way.

It is scary, but hopefully it's manageable -- at least that's what your doctors seemed to convey. I Hope that radiation is chasing those scary things away.

-ss

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your family.

Staying Afloat said...

Such a good lesson, to check in and see what your child means. Thank you for reminding me.

Adding you to my tefillos.

Batya said...

refuah shleimah
Your kids are you, amazing!

rickismom said...

Glad you caught that and was able to address it! Good for You!

Yehudit said...

I'll always regret not having had the communication with my mother that your children have with you. Like someone else said, 'you're an incredible mom.'

RivkA with a capital A said...

Thanks!!

(I really want to say "fooled you!!" -- 'cause I have plenty of not so great parenting moments.... but I am following my dad's sound advice: when someone pays you a compliment, just smile and say 'thank you!')