Powered by WebAds

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thrill Seekers

Everyone has their fears.

Mine is of heights. 

I am not a big fan of high speeds either.

When I was a little girl, my family went to Hershey Park, in New Jersey Pennsylvania.  There was one rollercoaster with a loop and my dad wanted to take me on it.

I was terrified, just looking at the rollercoaster.  I did not want to go upside down.

But my dad, with his boyish charm, convinced me to go with him.

I think I closed my eyes the whole ride.

That was probably when I decided that rollercoasters were not "for me."

For years, I avoided rollercoasters.  (Not so challenging for someone who does not frequent amusement parks)  The last time we were at Disney/Universal, I did not go on any of the serious rollercoaster rides. 

My kids were little then.

They are bigger now.

My son (no surprise there) and my eldest daughter (she surprised me, being naturally cautious and all that) were both totally into the rollercoaster thing -- the faster and scarier, the better!

To my surprise, I was totally into it as well.

Cancer has made me a thrill seeker!  (...as long as there are safety harnesses, so there is no chance of falling!)

Don't get me wrong.  I still felt scared. 

Each time, I reminded myself that the ride only lasts a minute and a half! 

I also forced myself to focus on breathing.  Slowly in.... slowly out....

Full disclosure: I also held (read: gripped) my daughter's hand during most of the rides.

But I did them, every one. 

More than once! 

I even rode the scariest rollercoaster two more times -- on my own!

I loved it! 

And I loved sharing that experience with my kids.



Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

5 comments:

mikimi said...

Ever been to Superland in Israel?
Sort of like a very miniature Six Flags.

Staying Afloat said...

Beyond great. I'm a coaster person myself, so I get it. So awesome to be able to keep stretching yourself!

proudmommy0f4 said...

Ahem. Hershey Park is in Pennsylvania, not NJ.

My kids love the coasters, but me - I keep my feet firmly on the ground!

Batya said...

Wow! Refuah shleimah!
Keep enjoying life.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Mikimi -- Been to Superland -- many years ago.

Avoided all the really scary attractions at the time.

Obviously, it is in a completely different league. You cannot even compare it to Disney/Universal.

I don't really remember what the Six Flags parks are like. I only went one or two times, with our youth group.


Staying Afloat -- it really is!!

Proud Mommy of 4 -- oops! thanks for the correction. :-}

Batya -- that's the plan!