Powered by WebAds

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Purim 2010

Purim was great!

We had a full house for Megillah reading!  All the chairs and couches were filled!  All together, we were 18 women and girls.* I’d say that's a respectable turnout!

RJ read chapters 1-4 and 6, ABC read chapters 5 and 8-10, and I read chapter 7 (with "voices").

Everyone read well and I, for one, really enjoyed the reading.

Most women had to leave as soon as we finished, but a few hung around for a bit. 

As soon as our last guest left, I went to bed!  It was early, but I was exhausted. 

I had planned to take my kids to the neighborhood Purim celebration.  But it was so cold and rainy outside that we were all happy to stay home, crawl into our warm, comfy beds, and go to sleep.

This morning, the girls and I went to my eldest's school, to hear Megillah.  It was a lot of fun!  Moshe and my son went to a late reading, at our old shul.

My eldest did not feel well, and went to sleep as soon as we got home.

My youngest helped me prepare Mishloach Manot (gift packages). 

I had prepared lots of popcorn in advance, and my youngest filled sandwich bags, which we closed with fancy ribbon.

Then I took all the containers that I had saved for the past few weeks, and we put together about a dozen Mishlochei Manot.  We gave to our neighbors, and a VERY FEW close friends, and each kid chose two friends, to whom they delivered mishloah manot.  

This year, we participated in our shul's Mishloach Manot, which means that we did not deliver individual mishlochei manot to most of our friends in our neighborhood.  Everyone from the shul gets a list of who "gave" to them, along with a nice, but modest, Mishloach Manot.  The rest of the money goes to Matanot LaEvyonim (gifts for the needy) -- money for local families, and school books and supplies for local kids.

As soon as Moshe and my son came home, they left with my youngest daughter to deliver the Mishlochei Manot.  I tidied up a bit, then lay down to rest.

When they returned, we woke up my eldest and went to our friends', C&JV, for Seudat Purim (Festive Purim meal).  We had a lovely time -- good friends, good food, good conversation.  What more could you want?  (OK, maybe good liqueur -- but none of us are big drinkers)

We usually have our Purim Seudah with these friends, and we often hang out until well after Purim is over.

This year, we had an out-of-town simcha (celebration), right after Purim ended.

Of course, we did not end exactly "on time," and we had to take our kids home first, and then there was crazy traffic (there always is a lot of traffic on Purim).... We arrived at the simcha, an hour and 50 minutes late.  It was fine.

We did not expect to know many people at the simcha, and were pleasantly surprised to meet many good friends who we have not seen in a while!  Not surprisingly, we were one of the last people to leave. (Moshe probably would have been happy to leave a bit earlier, but he was very patient.)

We really enjoyed the simcha (the Bat Mitzvah of M&MF's daughter H), but we were happy to get home.

It was a long, full, wonderful day.

Oh, I almost forgot the best part:  We all dressed up together.  Moshe and I both wore Cat in the Hat hats, and our kids wore "Thing 1," "Thing 2," and "Thing 3" shirts and wild light blue "hair."

On Moshe's initiative, we bought the costumes when we were in Universal....  Just another way that we continue to enjoy, and treasure, our family vacation! 

 

Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,
RivkA

* This year's participant:  From Baka and Katamon:  IS & YS; CV, AV, & RV; and our readers, RJ & ABC.  From the neighborhood, JB & E; TN & EN (I think); and 3 women who I don't know so well, one of whom brought her daughter (who learns in the school my youngest hopes to attend); and, of course, my girls and I.

6 comments:

mikimi said...

I dressed up as "Al HaNissim" and venahafoch hu as i wore a neon pink sweatshirt with colored glitter glue in the shape of a chanukiya and writing. I found it a few years ago in a gemach and figured I could wear it at least on Purim.
It was so stormy here in Tzfat yesterday that my umbrella ended its service on my return from Megilla in the morning.
I'm happy that most of yoyr Purim went well (aside from eldest not feeling well).

Staying Afloat said...

Sounda fabulous! Love the costume idea, and it sounds like you did mishloach manot in such a great waay.

I wish you much more smachot in the future, and the energy to enjoy them!

Rahel Jaskow said...

Rivka, thank you for opening your home for the reading! I enjoyed it very much.

Batya said...

I really am impressed! You're amazing for sure.

Rifki said...

It was great to see you in Ofra and catch up. Hope your cold goes away quickly. Ditto for the kids.

Raulf said...



I have been rejected by my wife after 3 years of marriage just because another man and she left me and the kid to suffer. One day when i was reading through the web site, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address Dr.Zack Balo a spell caster.have helped a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his email address wiseindividualspell@gmail.com and he told me that a man cast a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. I believed him because of his polite approach and sincerity and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back because i am now happy with my wife.