Powered by WebAds

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Vacation -- Anticipation and Excitement

A blogger described an upcoming vacation and received this comment:
"Thanks!  I need new furniture!"
So, I am posting this three days after I wrote it, as we are already on our way back home!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am so excited!

We NEVER go away the week before Pesach! 

Like most Jews, that is our busiest week of the year, filled with cleaning, sorting, cooking, and all sorts of "things to do!"

I know a few people who vacation during that week.  I am in awe their ability to be so organized and put together!  They leave for vacation, knowing their home is already ready for Pesach, a WEEK in advance!!

I could never get it together that early.  On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice.....

Well, this year, we are doing it!  We are going away for three days, during the week before Pesach!

If it were just my vacation, I would totally camp out on the beach! But Moshe does not like camping and he does not like the beach!  So, when I found out we could "piggy back" on our friend's time share (haver mevi haver), we made reservations to stay at the Club Hotel with our friends. It is a five star hotel and we would have a full suite to ourselves for only 700 NIS ($175) per night, for two nights.

Then we found out that the deal did not include breakfast.

Since I do not eat much, that did not deter me, even though I love hotel breakfasts. The lack of a hotel breakfast did bother my family, especially Moshe. 

The cost of adding breakfast was outrageous (about 200 NIS, or $50). We could buy fresh bread, cheese and vegetables for a fraction of that amount!

I decided to contact the youth hostel, which was next door to the hotel. Rooms cost 521 NIS ($130) for youth hostel members (you can purchase a family membership,for just 50 NIS ($12.50), when you check in), and includes breakfast. We would all bunk in one room, with two bunk beds plus a cot.

No pool, no slides, no microwave in the room. Those "extras" did not really interest Moshe.  Since we planned to be out and about during the day, they did not matter to me either.

Both places include air-conditioning (a "must" for Moshe) and a mini refrigerator (not a "must" for me, but a big "plus").

Since I would be just as happy to sleep on the beach, with no A/C and no breakfast, I gave Moshe the choice: Fancy room, with comfy beds vs. cramped room with breakfast.

He did not even hesitate.

My eldest was a little disappointed about the downgrade (she likes the comfy beds!), but, given the choices, she agreed with her dad.

We all enjoy having breakfast prepared for us!


Please daven (or send happy, healing thoughts) for RivkA bat Teirtzel.

With love and optimism,

9 comments:

Bernie said...

I do hope you had a wonderful vacation.......:-) Hugs

Liba said...

:) I hope that your vacation was wonderful! I want to hear about how you spent your days.

I totally don't get the furniture comment... buy maybe I don't want to.

Any which way, I am glad you are taking care of yourself and having fun with your kids!!

mikimi said...

Better than my life right now. I'm happy for you.

Leah Goodman said...

Have a great time!

Rieshy said...

I think my family would have voted for the food option as well.

I have a thing for high thread count sheets....

Hope you had a blast!

Batya said...

What fun. Good choice.

michele said...

Hope the time away was terrific. Enjoy Pesach vacation as well.

Baila said...

Nice. I never could understand how people go away here before Pesach.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Bernie - we sure did!

Liba - the furniture comment is meant "tongue-in-cheek," implying that it is foolish to announce on your blog that you are leaving your house empty for a while, as it might be an "invitation" for burglars.

Mikimi - You can do it too!

Leah & Batya - thanks!

Susan - I could have gone either way.

Michele - it was! thanks!

Baila -- I never did either. Now I totally get it.